Wednesday, January 26, 2011

shiver vs. sherlock?

please excuse me for being remiss in my duties as a book blogger.

i have no excuse really, except that school has started back and, well, i started reading shiver by maggie stiefvater. i read it until i finished it. i can't say that it was my favorite book, but it was certainly an easier read than twilight. by easier, i mean the characters had a little more character in them (nobody sparkled, so that is definitely a win) and i actually enjoyed it. anyway, it will be a while before i decide to read the second one, linger, but since they are loanable on kindle, i'll do it. it's a quick read, so if you've got the time and want some easy reading, go for it!

i'm seriously having problems staying on track with sherlock. maybe it's because i'm reading so much heavy content for my graduate classes, but it's just not clicking right now. i think i'll temporarily abandon it and go for it again another time.

i'm thinking about switching to another mystery that's a little more fun that more of us will enjoy. how does the no. 1 ladies detective agency sound? i saw the show on HBO a few years ago and it was pretty cute and quite witty in my opinion. what are your thoughts? (of course, i have to wait until i finish with water for elephants because now i'm drawn in and won't stop 'til i've finished). you can expect the next few posts to be about that. if you've read it, please let me know your opinions, ideas, and favorite parts- and don't forget to justify your answer. spoken like a true literacy teacher...

2 comments:

  1. The show was good. I saw a couple of episodes. My bookclub read one of them last year and of course I read the wrong one...like #7 or something, but it was cute yet a little spooky. The characters are great. That would be fine with me as I have been remiss in reading Sherlock also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit that I'm a fan of the Shiver series as well - they're addicting. I liked The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, but not enough that I pursued the rest of the series. I'd read them given the chance, but I wasn't desperate to know more.

    ReplyDelete