Wednesday, February 9, 2011

my kind of mystery

i am not very far into the no. 1 ladies' detective agency yet, but so far, i love it. that precious ramotswe is clever! i am especially enjoying the subtle humor that is present even in the most dramatic points of the story.

my favorite quote so far is from the very beginning of the book. here are the wise words of mma ramotswe...

"i love all the people whom god made, but I especially know how to love the people who live in this place. they are my people, my brothers and sisters. it is my duty to help them solve the mysteries in their lives. that is what i am called to do."

it made me think of being a teacher and how the biggest part of my job is not to teach my students, but to love them and help them learn about themselves. i think the biggest mystery i have solved this year was how to get my students to read. once i figured out it was sharing my passion for reading with them, i haven't been able to get them to quit reading! if you're a teacher, you'll totally understand how hard it is to motivate reluctant readers and why this is such a huge triumph.

ok, back to the book. since i'm snowed in, i should get quite a bit of quality couch-and-book time. i'll keep you posted on how that goes!




1 comment:

  1. I adore that book series and the TV series that HBO did one season of. Wish they had done 10 more. So, so great.

    ReplyDelete